|LANGREITER.COM plain, simple|
### author: Christian Langreiter
### date: [create 2001-11-25]
### template: slide-template-vis-med
@ welcome again
- new: course web site
- url: mobile.antville.org
- please register, post & discuss
- desired content: news, discussion, project updates
- suggestions, please
- part 1: flash introduction & hop introduction
- part 2: mobile applications
- excursion: wap/wml
- part 3: implementation workshop (cocomix)
- excursion & research: gameboy advance
### flash intro
@ introduction to flash - outline
- why flash?
- why flash on mobiles?
- basic concepts
- basic concepts of actionscript
- basic concepts of server communication
@ why flash?
- comparatively easy to handle
~ (compared to j2ee etc.)
- perfect for prototyping
- direct manipulation rules!
### hop intro
### mobile applications (samples and inspirations)
@ information applications
- location based services
- wireless museum guide
- augmented environments: the mesh
@ commuication applications
- messaging (sms, ems, mms)
- mobile chat
@ communication applications - messaging
- picture messaging
@ communication applications
- idea: new iconic language for mobile communication
- languages evolves: shortcut sms language -> icons
@ mobile games - what's happening right now?
- very simple games, interface-wise
- wap games are basically "pre-pong"
- example: gladiator, which is essentially schere, stein, papier
- lots of retro-recycling
@ mobile games - what's possible?
- I/O bandwidth must be very low in comparison to
- ... situation analysis/thinking bandwidth
- ... story bandwidth
- use bandwidth-rich media to create setting/stage (tv, radio, inet, magazines, posters etc.)
@ mobile games - what's bad?
- current problems:
- lots of different platforms == lots of duplicate effort, zu viele "splittergruppen"
~ (wap, java/iappli/j2me, proprietary)
- though: MGI forum has been created by nokia, motorola, ericsson and siemens to create suitable standards
- unclear business plans
- option: sell to telco
- option: let telco handle the billing
- lots of niches for renegade projects!
@ mobile games - what will happen?
- retro-recycling will continue
- look at the past to see the (immediate) future
- slowly new game concepts will emerge
@ mobile games - what would be cool?
- games that take into account that the player is mobile and has an associated location - wireless schnitzeljagden (go to location x, look at y, input word 1 of line 2 of text on artifact z)
- use the physical environment, luke!
- games that dynamically assemble nomad/collaborating/combat groups
- use the group/social environment, luke!
- scaling/playing with distances in combat games: move abx hurts 30% if 2 km away, 5% if 1 km away
- dialogue games? select sentences and battle with words (adventure-style)
@ mobile games - links
@ excursion: wap/wml - intro
- q: what's wap/wml? what does it stand for?
- a: wireless application protocol, wireless markup language
- q: who is responsible?
- a: the wap forum (founded by , currently # members)
- q: how can we create wap/wml apps/content?
- a: easily.
@ excursion: wap/wml - basic architecture
- web server
- application server/runtime environment (php, hop, asp, blah etc.)
- telco gateway
- mobile phone
@ excursion: wap/wml - what do we need?
- a text editor
- a special graphics converter
- a web server and access
@ excursion: wap/wml - wml
- what does a wml page look like?
- ... elements ...
@ excursion: wap/wml - wbmp
@ excursion: wap/wml - links
### implementation workshop
@ implementation workshop
@ links and resources
@ and that's been it.
- thanks for listening ;-)
GET YOUR MOVE ON
ALMOST ALL ABOUT YOU
So log in, fella — or finally get your langreiter.com account. You always wanted one.
Nearby in the temporal dimension:
... and 57 of the anonymous kind.
Click on for a moderate dose of lcom-talk. This will probably not work in Lynx and other browser exotica.
RECENT EDITS (MORE)
Uncut Games bei Gameware
Offenlegung gem. §25 MedienG:
Christian Langreiter, Langkampfen